One of my favorite new baked goods to come out of Tarragon’s kitchen has been the Herbed Red Pepper and Gruyere Scone, which provides the perfect blend of sweet and savory and is a great complement to a morning meal. I enjoy this recipe very much, and so it becomes my pleasure to share it with you.
Herbed Red Pepper and Gruyere Scone
(updated Nov. 6, 2014)
- 1 Red Pepper, small diced
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- ½ Shallot, minced
- 4 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 T chopped Rosemary
- 1 T chopped Basil
- 1 T Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 12 oz Melted Butter
- 1/3 cup Gruyere
- Beaten egg whites (to brush on top of the scones)
- Sauté Red Pepper, Garlic, and Shallots until cooked through.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients thoroughly. Toss the sautéed peppers, garlic, and shallots in the dry mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and incorporate the buttermilk and butter. Slowly add to the dry mix.
- Add the gruyere cheese.
- Using a 3 oz scoop, portion the mix on a sheet tray, and lightly brush the tops with egg white.
- Bake at 35oº for 20 minutes, until they are a nice golden brown.
— Chef Bret Andreasen
One response to “Recipe: Herbed Red Pepper & Gruyere Scone”
Thank you for sharing this recipe. My husband who normally doesn’t like scones, loved these.