- 1# Cremini Mushrooms, Stems Trimmed and Quartered
- 4 oz Petite Carrots, Oblique Cut
- 4 oz Yellow Onion, Medium Diced
- 4 oz Fennel, Medium Diced
- 4 oz Parsnips, Oblique Cut
- 4 oz Merlot
- 3 C Vegetable Stock
- 3 oz Roux
- ¼ t Cayenne Pepper
- 1 t Lemon Juice
- ¼ C Heavy Cream
- Add 1 T olive oil to a large sauce pot and cook the mushrooms over medium heat. Once they are fully cooked add the remaining vegetables and cook until they are tender. Season with about 1 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper at this point.
- Deglaze with merlot and cook the alcohol out completely.
- Add the vegetable stock and season once more to taste.
- Once the stock boils, add the roux to thicken to the proper consistency. Cook over low heat for half an hour.
- Finish with cayenne pepper, lemon juice and heavy cream.
- This recipe can be serve over rice, egg noodles or mashed potatoes with great success.