- 1 Side of Berkshire Pork Belly
- 16 oz Light Brown Sugar
- 8 oz Kosher Salt
- 1 oz ground coffee
- 2 Sprigs Rosemary
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- Mix the cure thoroughly, and place half of it in the bottom of a deep roasting pan.
- Score the pork belly about 3 mm deep so that it is cross hatched with about a centimeter in between each score.
- Lay the pork belly, fat side up, on top of the cure and massage the remainder of the cure into the top of the pork belly.
- Allow to cure in the fridge for 2 days.
- Remove the pork belly from the cure, rinse off briefly, cut in half width-wise and place in two separate roasting pans on racks. Fill the bottom of the hotel pan with water until it reaches the rack. Add a tablespoon of liquid smoke to each.
- Cover with foil.
- Cook in the oven at 350 for 4 hours.
- Remove the foil and cook for an additional hour.
- At this point it should be tender enough to pass a fork through with no effort. This can be served immediately but can also be cooled and cut into portions to freeze or re-roast over several meals.