Cooking from Home is a series our Executive Chef, Bret Andreasen, began during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our hope is simply to bring a little bit of the comfort and delight of Tarragon into your homes.
- 2 C Button Mushrooms, Thinly Sliced
- ½ C Carrot, Small Diced
- ½ C Celery, Small Diced
- ½ C Yellow Onion, Small Diced
- 3 T Fresh Ginger, Minced
- 16 oz Beef Broth
- 16 oz Chicken Broth
- 2 Eggs, Lightly Whisked
- 2 T Seasoning Soy Sauce
- 2 t Rice Vinegar
- Spring Onions
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Heat a 4 qt sauce pot over high heat. Once the pot is very hot, add the mushrooms and mirepoix vegetables to the pot with a small amount of chicken broth to steam. Cover with a lid and cook until the vegetables are tender, adding extra liquid as needed, about five minutes.
- Add the ginger and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the beef broth and the remaining chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for five minutes.
- Lightly whisk the eggs. Return the soup to a boil and slowly pour the egg into the soup, stirring the soup gently but constantly to create the egg ribbons. (Note: If the eggs are too thoroughly whisked, they will not cook in nice ribbons and will become gritty in the soup.)
- Season the soup with soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with spring onions to order.
Note: This is the perfect time of year to find spring onions outside. Feel free to replace with thinly sliced ramps if you have them. Morel mushrooms and oyster mushrooms are also common this time of year and make excellent replacements for the button mushrooms.