- ½ C Butter
- 1 C Celery, Small Diced
- 1 C Bell Pepper, Small Diced
- 1 C Yellow Onion, Small Diced
- 2 T Garlic, Minced
- 1 t Dried Oregano
- ½ C Flour
- 4 C Chicken Stock
- 1 C Diced Tomatoes, No Juices
- 1 T Lemon Juice
- 1 t Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ t Tabasco
- 1 Pinch Smoked Paprika
- 1# Crawfish Tails, with Juices
Salt and Black Pepper as you go
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pot on medium heat. Add the celery, peppers, onions, and garlic, and cook until tender. Add the dried oregano. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add the flour to form a roux.
- Over low heat, while whisking constantly, slowly add the chicken stock. Once the chicken stock is fully added, bring to a boil, and then lower to a simmer. Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, Worcestershire, tabasco and paprika. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cook over very low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crawfish tails and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper if needed.
This dish is traditionally served in a wide bowl with a scoop of steamed rice in the center.