Bulbs are poking through the snow cover! Buds of forsythia are swollen! Bluebird boxes are being cleaned and repaired for the coming season! Spring is near!
Finish up those lists! To do, must have plants, and designs because soon, very soon, we’ll be back out in the gardens! Here are a few tasks to consider for the month of March.
- Begin fertilizing houseplants, repot if necessary. Leggy plants may be pruned now
- Bring cut branches of cherry, forsythia, crabapple, and/or other early spring flowering trees and shrubs indoors to force bloom for early spring color
- Use caution when removing winter mulches off perennials, temperatures are still extremely variable
- Ornamental grasses should be cut back as soon as new growth appears
- Spring bedding plants such as pansies can be planted outdoors