Cooking from Home is a series our Executive Chef, Bret Andreasen, began during the COVID-19 pandemic. Our hope is simply to bring a little bit of the comfort and delight of Tarragon into your homes.
- ¾ C Mashed Ripe Banana
- ¼ C Plain Yogurt
- 1 C All Purpose Flour
- ¼ C White Sugar
- ¼ C Brown Sugar
- ¾ t Baking Powder
- ¼ t Baking Soda
- 1/3 C Softened Butter
- 1 T Kosher Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 T Orange Zest
- ½ t Vanilla Extract
- ¾ C Toasted Pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the banana, yogurt and sugar in a small mixing bowl and beat thoroughly until the banana is broken up and the mixture is smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix for 30 seconds to distribute the baking soda and powder into the flour.
- Add the butter and salt and mix on a medium-low speed until incorporated.
- Add the banana mixture while the stand mixer is still mixing and beat until incorporated.
- Add the egg, orange zest and extract and beat on medium high speed for about a minute.
- Add the pecans and mix just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a well-greased 4×8 bread pan.
- Peel a banana and cut in half. Place the banana, cut side up, lengthwise in the pan. This will help keep the banana bread moist and will add extra flavor to the finished product.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, rotating halfway through. The last part of the bread to cook will be the part that is directly beneath the sliced banana. Test with a toothpick in that area and if it comes out dry, the bread is ready to come out of the oven.
- Allow the bread to rest for at least 5 minutes and then remove it from the pan and allow it to rest on a baking rack for at least an hour before serving.