It’s hard to believe that I’ve already been developing the fall and holiday menus for Honey Run. The mild weather we have had has been reminiscent of fall. However, all it takes is a nice 90 degree day to snap me back to reality. Here is a preview of one of our offerings for our thanksgiving feast. This pumpkin risotto will be offered as a starter course; however it also works as a satisfying entrée. Please join us as we offer this dish, as well as a bounty of other favorites from the harvest on November 28th.
- 1 c. Arborio or carnoli rice
- 3 c. warm chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ c. raw pumpkin, diced small
- 1 oz. onion, diced
- 2 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp. whole butter
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Grated asiago cheese to taste
- Place a small sauce pot over medium heat.
- Add the butter and olive oil.
- Add the rice and toss in the fat. (This is an important step in that it prepares the rice to absorb the broth and gives the rice a toasted flavor.)
- Add the diced pumpkin.
- Slowly add the stock ½ c. at a time and stir the rice constantly until the liquid is absorbed. (This gives risotto it’s texture and creaminess by releasing starches.)
- Repeat this step until all of the liquid is absorbed or the rice is cooked.
- Fold in the mascarpone, season to taste with the salt, pepper and asiago.
- Sauteed wild mushrooms
- Seared duck breast
- Sauteed scallops
- Chestnuts and brussel sprouts sauteed with bacon
- Dried cranberries