A little something different this month from Executive Chef Bret Andreasen, but we assure you, a dish very much worth the effort and the wait!
1 C Celery, Medium Diced
1 C Onion, Medium Diced
1 C Carrot, Medium Diced
1 T Garlic, Smashed
1 Shallot, Julienned
1 Sprigs Thyme
1 Sprigs Rosemary
1/3 C Tomato Paste
1 C Red Wine
1 Qt Chicken Stock
- Season the Oxtail with salt and black pepper.
- Heat a large sauté pan until it begins to smoke. Add 2 T oil.
- Season the Oxtail generously with salt and black pepper and sear all of the sides to a rich golden brown. This will add flavor and will retain moisture. Once they are seared, remove from the pan and put into a Dutch oven.
- Cook the mirepoix vegetables in the pan until tender.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Deglaze with the red wine and allow the wine to reduce, cooking all the alcohol out.
- Add the chicken stock. Once it boils, add the aromatics. Pour the liquid over the Oxtail.
- Seal the Dutch oven with plastic wrap and the lid and cook in a conventional oven at 350 for 4 hours.
This recipe is better the next day. Allow the Oxtail to cool completely in the jus overnight. The following morning, remove the Oxtail and heat the jus. Strain the liquid, skim the fat and reduce by ¾. This will be the sauce for the Oxtail.