Spring is just around the corner……..hopefully. While the Inn during winter is a beautiful and serene place, I’m ready to explore the bounty of spring. We are very fortunate to have many edibles on property that can be foraged. Morels, fiddle head ferns, and ramps can be found in abundance. This month’s recipe features two other hallmarks of spring; asparagus and Meyer lemons. Asparagus in spring cannot be surpassed in flavor and texture. Meyer lemons, a crafty hybrid of lemon and tangerine, bring a super-charged level of citrus to many spring dishes. This recipe will be featured here at the Inn later this month on our Easter Feast buffet. Please join us for this spring bounty on March 31st!
CHILLED ASPARAGUS SALAD WITH MEYER LEMON DRESSING
- 12 stalks green asparagus, trimmed, peeled and blanched
- 12 stalks white asparagus, trimmed, peeled and blanched
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tangerines, peeled and segmented
- ½ English cucumber, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 head bibb lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 4 oz. olive oil
- 2 oz. meyer lemon juice
- 1 shallot minced
- ½ tsp. honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
Whisk all ingredients together in a stainless steel bowl.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large platter
- Randomly place the asparagus on top of the lettuce leaves
- Sprinkle the tangerine segments, cucumbers and radishes over the asparagus
- Drizzle the entire salad with some of the dressing.